[mcclim-devel] possible buglet in highlighting shapes

Paolo Amoroso amoroso at mclink.it
Wed Apr 27 19:17:41 UTC 2005

rpgoldman at real-time.com writes:

> is this problem a manifestation of some issues with programming
> (Mc)CLIM?

CLIM does require a lot of study.  I frequently browse and re-read the
printed copy of the CLIM manual I keep on my shelves.  I also print
and study all the CLIM code I can get my hands on (a rich source--no
pun intended--of aha! moments).

In the case of the particular problem you mentioned, I immediately
recognized a :single-box issue, but didn't exactly remember the
argument name and the details.  After telling you about ksnapshot, it
took me a few minutes to check the manual and find the relevant
information.

> My impression is that there are two challenges to programming with
> McCLIM:
[...]
> 2.  There seems to be an awful lot of black art to getting a CLIM UI
>     to look right and behave in ways that users will perceive as
>     normal.

Can you provide a few examples?

>     more easily for new CLIM programmers?  I'm still fumbling around
>     myself, so I find it hard to say what would make things easier,
>     since I might just be doing things wrong.

Keep asking questions.  I personally try to answer all the CLIM
questions posted here and in other Lisp forums--well, I am not always
successful :)

Paolo
--
Lisp Propulsion Laboratory log - http://www.paoloamoroso.it/log