[ltk-user] Question about scrolled-text widget

Cunningham, Jeff jeffrey.k.cunningham at boeing.com
Thu Aug 16 22:30:04 UTC 2007

Hi;

I'm new to both Ltk and to this list. I'm working on a prototype
application which includes a text widget which I'd like to be able to
scroll. It looks like the "scrolled-text" widget should work, but it
doesn't behave the same as other widget with regards to various
parameters. Here is an example that demonstrates:

(with-ltk ()
 (let* ((textframe (make-instance 'frame))
    (textbox (make-instance 'scrolled-text :master textframe)))
    ;; (textbox (make-instance 'text :master textframe)))

   (configure textbox :width 20 :height 30 :background :white)
   (pack textbox :expand t :fill :both)
   (pack textframe :expand t :fill :both)))

If you evaluate this with the 'text widget (commented out above) it is
initially sized as specified in the configure and has the white
background I want.

But if you evaluate it with the 'scrolled-text widget, the size seems to
be determined arbitrarily, and the background remains gray. Actually,
the tiny lower-right box where the scrollbars don't quite meet turns
white, so it's doing something.

Is there a way to get a scrolled-text box with a white background and
specified size?

I did google the mailing list without finding any previous discussion of
this. Any advice would be appreciated.

--Jeff