[iterate-devel] Bad superiority example

Andreas Fuchs asf at boinkor.net
Sun Apr 11 16:57:17 UTC 2010

2010/4/11 Eivind Midtgård <eivind at autosim.no>:
> (iterate (for elt in list-of-lists)
>         (finding elt maximizing (length elt)))
>
> whereas the example of how it can be done in loop is long and contorted. But loop can do
>
> (loop for elt in list-of-lists
>      maximizing (length elt))

Your loop example returns the length of the longest sublist. The
Iterate example yields the longest sublist itself. I am afraid the
loop equivalent really has to be this contorted.

> The example in 3.2 Named blocks may be better as a selling point:
>
> (iter outer (for i below (array-dimension ar 0))
>             (iter (for j below (array-dimension ar 1))
>                   (in outer (collect (aref ar i j)))))
>
> showing that the outer loop can easily collect data produced in the inner loop.

This one is good. I've replaced the (IMO, not very strong) generators
example with it.

Andreas Fuchs, (http://|im:asf@|mailto:asf@)boinkor.net, antifuchs