[iolib-devel] Upcoming changes

Peter Keller psilord at cs.wisc.edu
Sat Oct 23 03:40:13 UTC 2010

Hello,

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 01:08:40AM +0000, Christian Mayer wrote:
> with an iolib snapshot and sbcl I got the following errors:

> ; caught ERROR:
> ;   (during compile-time-too processing)
> ;   Unable to load foreign library (LIBFIXPOSIX).
> ;     Error opening shared object "libfixposix.so":
> ;     /usr/local/lib/libfixposix.so: undefined symbol: execvpe.
>
> ;
> /home/chris/.cache/common-lisp/sbcl-1.0.37-linux-x86-64/home/chris/code/
> ~lisp-tp/iolib-20101017/src/libfixposix/ASDF-TMP-ffi-functions.fasl
> written
> ; compilation finished in 0:00:00.143
> WARNING:
>    COMPILE-FILE warned while performing #<COMPILE-OP NIL {10054F89F1}> on
>    #<IOLIB-SOURCE-FILE "libfixposix" "ffi-functions">.
> ;
> ; compilation unit aborted
> ;   caught 1 fatal ERROR condition
> ;   caught 1 ERROR condition
> ;   caught 1 STYLE-WARNING condition

That error is because you don't have libfixposix installed on your
machine.  libfixposix is a library being written by Stelian Ionescu,
the author of IOLib, to unify some POSIX behavior across various unix
machines. It is a C library which is compiled and installed seperately
from IOLib or any other Common Lisp installation.

It is found here:
http://gitorious.org/libfixposix/libfixposix

You can get a copy of it by:
git clone git://gitorious.org/libfixposix/libfixposix.git

Then make && make install as root.

Afterwards, the build of IOLib in SBCL should work.

However, I know from talking to Stelian recently that the changes to IOLib
to support libfixposix are not yet complete.

I would recommend you use the 0.7.2 version of IOLib until he finishes with
the libfixposix changes.

You can find that here:
http://common-lisp.net/project/iolib/download.shtml

Or, you can dig around in the git log of IOLib (if say you got it via
clbuild or manually getting the head of the branch via git clone) until
you find the SHA1 in which he made the 0.7.2 release and git reset --hard
to that SHA1.

Have a nice day.

-pete