[gsharp-devel] some microtonal glyphs

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cantab.net
Tue Jun 19 13:31:32 UTC 2007

Christophe Rhodes <csr21 at cantab.net> writes:

> Here's a beginning along a different path towards an all-singing
> all-dancing microtonally enhanced gsharp: some glyphs, implementation
> of which was suitable for a lazy evening's doodling.)  These are the
> Mildred Couper-like sesquiflat (and a semiflat derived from it): just
> the glyphs, no UI / placement / saving support.

I think I understand how to deal with UI and placement.  For
placement, I've reworked the great big *accidental-offset* table into
something a little more dynamic, effectively kerning arrays keyed by
right/left symbol pairs, where it's now possible to have a default
array for each right-hand symbol, and a default default array.  So
placing new accidental glyphs is now straightforwardly possible (if
sometimes suboptimal from a typesetting point of view) and
improvements to the kerning can be made as and when demand arises.

My proposed plan for UI is to use Ctrl-# and Ctrl-@ to microtonally
sharpen and flatten the current note, much as # and @ currently
sharpen and flatten.  For my first cut, this will probably just add in
the semiflat/sharp and sesquiflat/sharp; that should shake out what
needs doing.

One thing that needs doing is working out how these things play, and
there I'm definitely not sure what is expected.  Magnus?

(Also, does anyone know how these beasts relate to what support there
is in MusicXML?  It would be nice if Brian could support whatever it
is that makes most sense.)

I attach my current diff.

Cheers,

Christophe