[elephant-devel] Re: recreate-instance-using-class

Sean Ross rosssd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 20:35:14 UTC 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 7:38 PM, Robert L. Read <read at robertlread.net> wrote:
> Thank you very much, Sean.  I suggest you work with Henrik and Alex and
> I on this as well (possibly off-line, outside of this forum.)

Thanks, I'll try and put together an initial proposal for Henrik, Alex
and I to start with.

> 2)  The test always worked for me (the first time they were run.)  When
> I ran them the second time, I had failures.  I am not 100% sure this had
> to do with your patch or not...it is possible that I have an SBCL error
> or some other problem.

I'm hoping that when I get postmodern and the tests up and running that I can
test this with Lispworks.

> 4)  Given the multiple inheritance of "pm-indexed-btree" (a subclass of
> "indexed-btree" and "pm-btree", it was not clear to me exactly what
> order the MOP stuff got called.  It is possible that some subtle aspects
> of this are even lisp-dependent.

I think I may have discovered why pm-indexed-btree could behave oddly
with the new patch.
All the methods defined are defined on persistent-object and it
appears that persistent-object
is not on pm-indexed-btree's class-precedence-list which could cause
various amounts of havoc.

Alex, can you confirm/refute this?

On a different note, It may be worth requiring that
perstistent-metaclasses have
persistent-object on their class-precedence-list although that is
bound to have implications
that I haven't thought of.

sean.