Schema evolution (was: Re: [elephant-devel] Quick sketch of type evolution system)

Leslie P. Polzer leslie.polzer at gmx.net
Sun Jan 6 15:01:09 UTC 2008

> I'm dreaming the same dream as Henrik.  As I mentioned earlier some of
> this was captured in the Trak wiki and tickets (I referenced which
> ones in an earlier e-mail).

They were very valuable to me in helping me understanding the issues
and questions involved.

> I'm completely swamped for a couple of weeks, but I might be motivated
> to work on this later in the month if one or two someone others
> volunteer to participate.

I volunteer for helping to the best I'm able to.

> One approach is to create a signature hash [...]

Fair enough.

We need to find a balance between storing schema versions and
letting the user decide.

What I'd like to see is

1) easy userland specification of schema versions and
   transitions between those versions (from older to newer should
   suffice)

2) storage of at least one schema version in the repo;
   this would, for example, make a PHPMyAdmin-style web interface
   possible, i.e. some piece of software that can be used on
   any Elephant repo without access to the user code that created
   it.

  Leslie

--
My personal blog: http://blog.viridian-project.de/