[elephant-devel] Other BDBs?

Ian Eslick eslick at csail.mit.edu
Thu Mar 2 16:56:16 UTC 2006

A quick acronym decomposition will help here:

BDB = Berkeley DataBase
Sleepycat = the company that commercialized Berkeley's database code.

BDB is a library that implements on-disk BTrees, memory management,
transactions, etc.  It's possible to write a new backend to support
other databases based on tables of various kinds but it's a non-trivial
exercise, particularly to handle the foreign function calls to most
libraries.  The front-end of elephant provides support for a metaclass
protocol and a BTree API to manage persistent lisp objects and tables.

We do hope someday to have a native lisp backend.

I hope that is helpful,
Ian