[elephant-devel] License Discussion

Ian Eslick eslick at csail.mit.edu
Tue Jan 24 04:45:22 UTC 2006

I am writing to see if I can restart the license discussion I saw a
little of in the archives late last year.  With the SQL backends it
seems more appropriate to release the next version of elephant as an
LLGPL code base to encourage wider adoption by folks who work for or
consult for other companies and can't use the existing elephant code
with a SQL backend in commercial software.  It certainly makes it more
motivating for me to contribute to the code base as my lab (sponsored by
a bunch of companies) has expressed a preference for LLGPL in my own
library projects.  I've had to strip all the GPL'ed outside lisp
libraries but am holding for the time being to see if elephant will
indeed reconsider its license.  :)

Regardless it's a wonderful system already and the first shot in awhile
for the lisp community to settle on a PODB.  It's probably also helpful
that the code is maturing at the same time as AllegroCache is generating
some broad interest.

Please consider this my request for the LLGPL.
http://opensource.franz.com/preamble.html

Regards,
Ian