[elephant-devel] Postgres backend...

Robert L. Read read at robertlread.net
Fri Sep 30 16:53:47 UTC 2005

I'm not sure who owns Elephant right now, but I am about to complete
my postgres-backend extention.  (I've got 7 tests out of 90 that are
still failing, but should have those knocked out soon.)

It took me three weeks and I estimated two; but I'm confident now that
within two weeks I can have a complete, testable, well-documented
system that let's you seemlessly migrate data between Berkeley DB
and Postgres.

So the real question is, should this be "fork" or elephant, with a new
project name, or should it just be an elephant release?  (I assume that
the owner will of course want to code-review it before making that
decision,
but I thought it better to keep everyone informed of what I'm doing.

Recall that one nice thing about PostGres is that it's licensing terms
for someone building a public website are nicer than those of Berkeley
DB.

I didn't receive a response to this previous message:

In addition to time, there are three reasons why I would not make a good
owner:

1)  I use only SBCL and plan to use only SBCL for the foreseeable
future.
2)  I am not a super-great LISP coder.
3)  I am modifying Elephant to use CL-SQL as a backend.  I plan to
"release and
own" this, in any case.  However, fans of Sleepcat may not want to have
the nice
simple code of Elephant cluttered up with my SQL-related code.

Since I plan to own the CL-SQL based Elephant anyway, the real issue is
should that stuff be a fork from Elephant or part of Elephant?

And, since I'm only half-way done, people might be really unhappy when
the
code review it.

----
Robert L. Read, PhD                                     read &T
robertlread.net
Consider visiting Progressive Engineering:
http://robertlread.net/pe
In Austin: 912-8593                                        "Think
globally, Act locally." -- RBF