[elephant-devel] DB_NOTFOUND and Unknown error: -5

Robert L. Read read at robertlread.net
Mon Nov 7 21:05:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 21:44 +0100, Florian Obser wrote:

> Will sbcl 0.9.5 be a requirement for elephant 0.3.0 or do you think i
> can stick with 0.8.16? Are the unicode-issues resolved?
> I'm going to try the cvs-version as soon as I find the time, probably
> next weekend.

No, 0.3.0 should still work with SBCL 0.8.X.  In fact thanks to Juho
Snellman I recently committed
the necessary changes to the SQL-BACK-END branch to deal with these.

The SBCL team obsoleted a low-level memory function between 8 and 9; I'm
not sure why but
you have to test what version you are in and call the correct thing.  In
theory I have done it correctly
so it will work under both versions.

> > As an alternative, you could run the tests, and send me the output of
> > that; that might
> > provide some help.
> >
> > The tests for version 0.2.1 can be run via:
> > (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :elephant-tests)
> > (in-package "ELEPHANT-TESTS")
> > (do-all-tests)
>
> A quick test failed in the first line:
> ------------------------------
> component "elephant-tests" not found
>    [Condition of type ASDF:MISSING-COMPONENT]
> ------------------------------

This is probably because you have not placed a symbolic link to
blahblah/elephant-0.2.1/elephant-tests.asd in
the "asdf::*central-repository*" directory.

I personally use  "/usr/local/share/lisp" for this, and have the
following three lines in my /etc/sbclrc file,
to make sure SBCL knows where to find my ASDF systems:

(defparameter *ASDF-PACKAGE-HOME* "/usr/local/share/lisp/")
(require 'asdf)
(setq asdf:*central-registry* (cons *asdf-package-home* asdf:*central-
registry*))

> This probably means that i messed up the elephant setup. If you're
> really interested in the output I can try to get it running, but if not
> I'm going to ignore the problem and switch to the cvs version and sql.

I'd rather deal with the CVS version; that does NOT mean that you should
use the SQL version.
The SQL-BACK-END branch works equally well with the BerkeleyDB or the
SQL version; and
you can elect which to use.  In fact the BerkeleyDB is about 5 times
faster than the SQL version.

Nonetheless, the 0.3.0 version will be the latest version and will be
better maintained.

No, the Unicode and UTF-8 issues are not resolved yet.  I know they
concern the low-level
serializer, that constructs a byte stream serialization of the lisp
objects.  Unfortunately in
some way this is sensitive to the character definition.  So I understand
the general problem,
but have not had time to fix it; I intend to do it fairly soon, as I
need Unicode stuff for my
own projects.