[Ecls-list] build error for ecl 12.7.1 under MSVC 2008, 2010

bob bobatnet at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 05:55:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <
juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 9:10 PM, bob <bobatnet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I dont have any experience in nmake. I have got the latest ecl from CVS
>> (12.7.1) and am trying to build ecl using both VS 2010 express and VS 2008
>> (x64 and x86) (Win7) but am getting this error:
>>

> As a rule of thumb, avoid CVS if possible. The main repository is the one
> based on git. The one based on CVS is synced more or less automatically but
> the process tends to fail quite often

I am able to compile from the CVS on a windows XP box without any problems.
I guess it must be something with windows.

>> c:\lisp\ecl\ecl\msvc>nmake
>> [...]
>>
> Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.21022.08
>> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>>
>> makefile(5) : fatal error U1023: syntax error in expression
>> Stop.
>> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
>> Studio 9.0\
>> VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
>> Stop.
>>

> No idea. I just built my copy of ECL in a Windows Server 2008 without
> problems, using both Visual Studio Express 2010 and Microsoft's SDK, which
> also comes with a compiler. Both have nmake and none of them caused
> problems.
>

>> Also, am trying to build ecl-docs but cant find the xmlto package under
>> windows. Do you have any substitute for it or any other instructions to
>> build it in windows ?
>>

> I am not an XML savvy and I am just using the tool that comes with OS X.
> There might be other xsl processors around, though.
>
> But... why don't you install cygwin? I install it even if I don't use it
> to build ECL so often, just because of the tools: rsync, ssh, xmlto...

Ya cygwin is the way to go !! thanks.

Now that I have a compiled ECL 12.7.1, I configure it with the latest slime
 and emacs. But I get a continuous error: SWANK:wait-for-input and the
debug trace goes on increasing.

Also, could you guys please give an indication or put up a tutorial
somewhere as to how to make slime work in the best way with ecl ?

Juanjo