[Ecls-list] slime with latest head, error Unknown or unsupported external format: ISO-8859-1

Karsten Poeck karsten.poeck at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 20:52:18 UTC 2009

In article
<c159f9ab0911071411r41ca9a98l51929f938fbf301c at mail.gmail.com>,
 Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
 <juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
..

> ISO-8859-1 is ok, but only works when ECL was built using
> --enable-unicode Otherwise ECL only accepts :default, :little-endian,
> :big-endian, and :cr, :lf, or :crlf. Was the problem you observed with
> an executable that lacked Unicode support?
>
> Juanjo

Effectively this was in a default ECL without unicode on snow leopard.
Configuring with unicode results in a working slime.

I wonder whether in swank-ecl.lisp the follwinf should be put:
(defvar *external-format-to-coding-system*
  #+unicode
  '((:iso-8859-1
     "latin-1" "latin-1-unix" "iso-latin-1-unix"
     "iso-8859-1" "iso-8859-1-unix")
    (:utf-8 "utf-8" "utf-8-unix"))
  #-unicode
  '((:default
     "latin-1" "latin-1-unix" "iso-latin-1-unix"
     "iso-8859-1" "iso-8859-1-unix")
    (:default "utf-8" "utf-8-unix")))

Karsten