[Ecls-list] Compiler broken?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 12 10:07:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Which version did you download? The current version (in trunk/) of
>  that function reads:

I used cliki.

>  But, my point is: yes, I used strndup() once upon a time. However, I'm
>  not using that anymore. Do you see any remaining bugs in the code
>  above? (Yes, I agree the GC_malloc_atomic() would be more efficient, I
>  actually thought I was using that.)

Please, do not use GC_malloc_atomic(). Actually, do not use GC_*
functions at all. Use the ECL wrappers instead.

>  I'm asking because I find it hard to find the right functions for the
>  operations I'm trying to perform (such as instantiating a lisp string
>  from a cstring).

Yes, I should document the recommended practices some time. Sorry for
the lack of documentation about this. Roughly

make_simple_base_string(s) => creates a lisp string using the C
pointer "s". Will not duplicate data. Just keeps "s"

make_base_string_copy(s) => creates a lisp string using the data in
"char *s". Will allocate memory for this new data.

So, use the first one if you are sure that the data in "s" will
survive forever, use make_base_string_copy() otherwise.

Juanjo