Remove lib/ecl before rebuilding (Was Re: [Ecls-list] ecl build failure)

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll worm at arrakis.es
Mon Sep 22 03:13:08 UTC 2003

On Saturday 20 September 2003 23:16, Paul F. Dietz wrote:
> I've just tried to build ecl off the cvs head.   (This is RedHat 9,
> using gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)
>
> After doing:
> ./configure --prefix=/home/dietz
> in the top directory, then
> make
> the build fails:
> [...]
> /home/dietz/lib/ecl//libecl.a(read.o)(.text+0x37d6):/home/dietz/ecls/src/c/
>read.d:1750: more undefined references to `GC_malloc' follow

Sorry, but have you uninstalled your previous copy of ECL? This is an issue
 of the current build procedure: we have to hardcode the location of the
 libraries using the --ldrpath option of "ld". This should cause no problems
 when the user wants to compile files using ECL, and indeed it helps to solve
 the problem that libecl.so is located in a nonstandard place. However it
 also causes that during the build process of ECL itself, the linker tries to
 use the old libraries. The only solution I have found until now is deleting
 the old ${prefix}/lib/ecl directory.

Juanjo