[climacs-devel] Command Tables

John Q Splittist splittist at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 18:13:37 UTC 2005

Folks,

I've just committed a patch reworking the key-binding bits to use
esa:set-key instead of the various global-set-key/c-x-set-key forms. The
key-bindings for commands are now distributed throughout the code next
to the command definitions. (The magic of set-key is that it takes care
of prefix (and dead-escape) command tables for you: if you want a
command on 'C-x 4 d M-e w' it'll create all the intermediate steps just
by specifying '((#\x :control)(#\4)(#\d)(#\e :meta)(#\w)) as the gesture
form. Of course, it's your fault if you clobber anything in the process,
and God help your users...)

At the moment all the keys-bindings are in the global-climacs-table. It
is intended that they be partitioned among a logical set of tables that
can be composed as desired by ... whoever ends up using bespoke command
tables.

Some groupings of bindings might be: self-inserted keys; movement;
mark-related (C-Space, C-x C-x etc.); deletion; dabbrev ...

Your thoughts are requested on such matters!

(Also, could people with furrin' keyboards with :dead--acute,
:dead--tilde etc. please check that I haven't broken the unicode stuff.)

JQS