[clfswm-devel] Questions / Feature requests regarding the focus policy

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Sun Mar 24 16:01:42 UTC 2013

Renaud Casenave-Péré a écrit :

> Hi, Sorry for the late reply…

Hi, no problem.

> I tried using your solutions but unfortunately, it's not working so well
> in my
> case.
> When I use the "one frame for one window" option, I usually end up with my
> window
> in fullscreen when I use run-or-raise to move around (which I often do).
> In a
> frame where I have 3 or 4 windows I want to keep an eye on at all time, it
> is a
> bit annoying.
>
> Then, I realised that if I want a follows mouse type of focus, I would
> also need
> to have a feature that moves the mouse to the newly focused window. Again,
> if I
> use run-or-raise to move around, if the mouse doesn't move to the new
> focused
> window, with the sloppy select method, the focus revert back to where the
> mouse
> is…

Ok, so we need to hack a new sloppy focus method which follow mouse over
windows and not only over frames. And we need to move the mouse on the
new focused window since its position may have changed according to the
frame layout used. Does something like :sloppy-select-window in commit
d6b1dd9 do what you want?
It's not finished code (there is some glitch) but the idea is here.
Myself I think I don't like the automatic mouse move.

And I think you've already check for :sloppy focus method.

> For the second problem, the existing feature is good to know, but again
> (sorry
> if I'm being annoying…), I would like it to be the default behavior, and
> not
> only for newly opening windows, but for already opened windows that
> sometimes
> steal the focus, like if I use browse-url in emacs to open a link in an
> already
> opened conkeror window.

Ah, so, you can make it the default new window hook:

(setf *default-nw-hook* 'leave-focus-frame-nw-hook)

> Maybe I'm trying too much to get the behavior I had before with xmonad… I
> even
> wrote a layout I used then, if you want to put it in the sources I'd
> gladly
> paste it here.

Yes you can paste it here or fork clfswm git repo and ask for a git pull
request.

> I realised I was still unaware of many of clfswm features while watching
> the screencasts on the website so I still have a lot to learn.

yes, clfswm is very rich and I use myself only a few part of all its
features :-)