[clfswm-devel] Comparsion of clfswm with other "extensible" WMs

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Mon Aug 20 22:13:11 UTC 2012

Teika Kazura writes:

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 00:31:12 +0200, Philippe Brochard wrote:
>> First, thanks a lot for your work on Sawfish. I have really liked to use
>> it! I have yet some references for it on my web page :)
>>
>>     http://hocwp.free.fr/ah2cl/screen-cmucl.png  (~year 2005)
>
> De rien (not at all =^). I only started to join Sawfish development
> since 2008. Yeah, I thank J Harper, the original Sawfish developer,
> and the community.

So, thanks for them.

>> Of course, I'll fill this page soon.
>
> Thank you very much for your fast edits.
>
>>> I have a question. In Sawfish, users can easily override files
>>> installed system-wide. For example, /usr/share/sawfish/lisp/foo/bar.jl
>>> yields to ~/.sawfish/lisp/foo/bar.jl. Is it possible in clfswm?
>>> (Perhaps not difficult at all for Common lisp.)
>>>
>> The proposed way to do what you say with CLFSWM is to rewrite some
>> functions in your .clfswmrc configuration file. Same name, same
>> arguments but different body.
>
> I see. If it's sufficient for you, then it's ok.

I haven't had some request in this sense for now.

> FYI, I explain why it's useful for Sawifsh.
>
> 1. Each lisp file (somewhat) defines a class, and the pathname is
> related to the class name, and not all functions are global in
> Sawfish. (You may know that Sawfish's lisp, librep, is a peculiar
> mixture of EmacsLisp and Scheme.)
> 2. Even codes executed prior to the user script, ~/.sawfish/rc, can be
> hacked by the above machanism.
>
> In fact, that override feature was written by me, and it really
> helped me. As a user, I put customization in ~/.sawfish/lisp, and
> as a developer, I stash testing codes to ~/.sawfish/dev{1,2,3,...}
> (An env-var SAWFISH_USER_LISP_DIR controls them.)

I think what I propose is nearly what you describe. When we override
functions in our configuration file, all the code compiled prior to the
change will use the new definition. So we can hack a little function or
a whole lisp file.

For your remark on librep, at the time, this was appealing to me to have
a lisp configurable window manager.

> (I use Emacs, and I wonder what's the good way to override Emacs's
> lisp files. The workarounds I write are dirty, and irritate me at
> Emacs upgrading.)

I like a lot Emacs but I can't answer here. Sorry.

> Thanks a lot.

何も (not at all)

> Teika (Teika kazura)

Philippe