[clfswm-devel] clfswm in different environments

Desmond O. Chang dochang at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 03:37:00 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 00:02, Philippe Brochard
<pbrochard at common-lisp.net> wrote:

> And clisp is surely a better option for you.

Definitely.  I always use clisp/new-clx for clfswm and stumpwm.

> How do you see that clfswm is freezing? If this is when you move a frame
> or a window, the freeze maybe normal as this is a cpu intensive
> action. Maybe the gc comes in action (maybe something consing to
> mush). I'll take a look.

Well, it's not clfswm, it's conkeror.  If you have a gmail accout,
please open the standard ui in conkeror and use it.  Conkeror will
freeze after a few minutes.

> I've a box with the double of cpu and a lot more memory. But I always
> disable flash except when I really need it (vlc is good for viewing
> youtube). clisp is surely a better option for you. You can also try
> cmucl which use less memory.

I've tested on cmucl.  Here is my conclusion:

clisp/new-clx

- Perfect.

sbcl/portable-clx

- Conkeror freezes when viewing gmail
- Iceweasel freezes when view flash.

cmucl/cmu-clx

- Conkeror freezes when viewing gmail.

>>> This one is because you haven't enabled local connections on your X
>>> server. Add a line with 'xhost local:local' in your ~/.xsession or
>>> .xinitrc or .Xclients.
>>
>> Why does clisp require this with portable clx but sbcl not?
>>
> Don't know. cmucl has solved this but the open-clx-display is not
> portable.
>
> http://www.cons.org/cmucl/doc/clx-authorization.html

Will never test.  Unportable solution sucks.  We have too many CLX.