[clfswm-devel] Hard time using SVN

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Sun Mar 9 13:44:55 UTC 2008

Philippe Brochard <pbrochard at common-lisp.net> writes:

> Matthieu Moy a écrit :
>>
>> Do you have a full shell access there ?
>>
> Yes I have a shell on the common-lisp.net server over ssh.
>
>> Is git installed there ?
>>
> No it isn't.
>
> Is there a way to have a local git repo and synchonize it over ssh on
> a remote machine?

Git can't access natively a repository over a plain ssh or sftp, it
needs to be installed both on client and on server (but you can still
publish your repository over a plain HTTP, it's OK for a read-only
access).

So, you have two options:

* Install git on the server. I'm not sure it's allowed on
  common-lisp.net, but it shouldn't be technically too difficult.
  Then, "git init" on the server, and "git push ssh://server/path".

* Upload you git repository with something different from Git (e. g.
  rsync). It will be less efficient, and looses atomicity (i.e.
  strange behaviors may happen if you upload at the exact same time as
  someone downloads). For a repository with a low activity like clfswm
  is, I don't think it's a real problem.

--
Matthieu