[cl-wiki-devel] Thoughts about page storage

Emre Sevinç emres at bilgi.edu.tr
Fri Sep 9 11:23:39 UTC 2005

Ian Clelland wrote:

>On 9/8/05, Emre Sevinc <emres at bilgi.edu.tr> wrote:
>

>> - Do we really need categories? Refer to Wikipedia. Does it
>> have any? I mean, what if I create a page called "Categories" then
>> make some alphabetic links (or categories) and place the links
>> under them accordingly? Wikipedia doesn't do that automagically (you'll
>> have to do a lot of editing), why should cl-wiki do?
>>

>[...]
>ZWiki, for Zope, doesn't do categories, but instead maintains a
>document "tree", in which nodes have "parents", and that parent-child
>relationship can be changed by an editor. It uses this to create
>hierarchical lists of nodes, while still keeping the nodes all in a
>flat namespace.

Namespace this, namespace that. I simply don't think we need that
functionality.

>I'm fairly certain that Ward's Wiki (c2.com) only does categories
>manually; you have to create a category page, and link your other
>pages to it by hand. It doesn't seem to suffer for that despite its
>huge size.

And thinking about how much Bilgi University's Lisp User's Group's wiki
can grow, I don't
think that'll be a torture, too. (yes, I'm just thinking about our
usage, shame on me :)

>Honestly, I don't think that cl-wiki needs categories in order to be a
>"real wiki"; if there is a simple and elegant way of incorporating
>that sort of metadata, I'd be all for it, but I suspect that it would
>just take away from the simplicity of the thing right now.

I agree with you %100. Give me a simple and flexible content management
system and let
me mold it into any structure I want. Isn't Lisp all about flexibility
(yes, not so simple but that's
another story) :)

Emre S.