[cl-wiki-devel] Thoughts about page storage

Emre Sevinc emres at bilgi.edu.tr
Thu Sep 8 21:28:33 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: cl-wiki-devel-bounces at common-lisp.net on behalf of Vehbi Sinan Tunalioglu
Sent: Thu 9/8/2005 11:43 PM
To: clelland at gmail.com
Cc: cl-wiki-devel at common-lisp.net
Subject: Re: [cl-wiki-devel] Thoughts about page storage

Ian Clelland wrote:
>> On 9/8/05, Vehbi Sinan Tunalioglu <vehbisinan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>:) Ok.
>>>
>>>"Catalog index pages"? It sounds like a manual way. Am I right?
>>

>> I can imagine a scheme where, when you put a page into a category, an
>> index page somewhere gets automatically updated by the wiki... I don't
>> know if it's a good scheme, but I think you could do that sort of
>> thing without a lot of manual intervention.
>>

>Nice. But how to do that recursively or how to find the category of a
>given page? Actually, this is a question of whether we want to implement
>the idea of categories, and if yes, how comprehensive it should be.
>Stefan, the maintainer, should maybe decide it. But, I think that I'll
>need a category mechanism that can grow in depth as well, like
>subcategories.

Some questions:

- Do we really need categorization feature? (Of course,
it depends on who uses cl-wiki for which purposes)

- Do we really need automatic update of some index, index page,
etc.? I mean if I create a category I can update a page. If I forget
then some time I'll remember, this doesn't pose a disaster.

- Do we really need categories? Refer to Wikipedia. Does it
have any? I mean, what if I create a page called "Categories" then
make some alphabetic links (or categories) and place the links
under them accordingly? Wikipedia doesn't do that automagically (you'll
have to do a lot of editing), why should cl-wiki do?

My 2 cents (like it or not :)

Regards,

Emre Sevinc
Istanbul Bilgi University