[cl-wiki-devel] Encoding question and a patch

Emre Sevinç emres at bilgi.edu.tr
Tue Sep 6 07:11:34 UTC 2005

Ian Clelland wrote:

>On 9/5/05, Ian Clelland <clelland at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 9/4/05, Vehbi Sinan Tunalioglu <vehbisinan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks Ian...
>>>
>>>I could not find the #'esc documentation either... I'm trying to fix it,
>>>too.
>>>

>>I looked into it a bit more yesterday, there is no "esc" function per
>>se; rather cl-who interprets a form like (esc "some string") as if it
>>were an actual function call to (escape-char "some string")
>>
>>It's the cl-who:escape-char function which is giving us these
>>problems. I'm looking at possible ways of shadowing that function with
>>our own version, or possibly just bypassing it and writing a utf-8
>>decoding function for cl-wiki.
>>

>After a lot of hassle dealing with cl-who, and after determining that
>the sbcl that comes with Debian Sarge does not, in fact, support
>unicode,

But the one that comes with Debian SID (unstable) does support Unicode,
as far as I know. I had similar
problems with older versions of SBCL on my Debian GNU/Linux PC at home
and the solution
was to upgrade to the unstable package (which also needed an upgrade
from linux 2.4 to 2.6.11).

And I think CLISP supports it too. So is it a problem only related to
the Lisp compiler used
for cl-wiki?

> and after thinking a lot about where to position a custom
>UTF-8 decoder, I have realised that the best solution to this problem
>is to simply not use the form (esc content). Instead, we can use (str
>(escape-for-html content)), and use exactly the same formatting rules
>in the editting textarea as we do for the standard page output.

>I've tried this on our running site, and it loads and saves unicode
>documents with no problems.
>
>Let me know if this works for you.

I hope it works for us, too. (Sinan will probably apply and try and
inform everybody today) :)

Istanbul Bilgi University's Lisp User's Group trusts you:

http://church.cs.bilgi.edu.tr/lcg

--
Emre Sevinc
eMBA Software Development