[cl-who-devel] str and esc inconsistency (suggestion)

Jan Rychter jan at rychter.com
Wed Jun 3 09:06:20 UTC 2009

I have a suggestion for CL-WHO.

Currently, you can't just replace str with esc in your code, because
while str does a princ, esc expects a string. I have code that passes
numbers to str and wanted to do a wholesale replacement.

The manual says:

str: Forms that look like (str form1 form*) will be substituted with (let
((result form1)) (when result (princ result s)))

esc: Forms that look like (esc form1 form*) will be substituted with (let
((result form1)) (when result (write-string (escape-string result s)))).

I would suggest improving esc by performing a princ if the first
argument is not a string.

--J.