[cl-typesetting-devel] Couple of silly questions

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Tue Jan 10 18:14:30 UTC 2006

"C Y" <smustudent1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>How resource intensive is a "pass" over a small typesetting expression?

It uses a lot of memory. Each char has several double float associated with it.

[...]
>I'm hoping the STIX fonts will be out soon - that should make for a
>VERY interesting tool.

I look at the Stix font site every now and then and I will put them in cl-typesetting as
soon as they are available.

>I'm curious to see how Knuth handled mathematical typesetting -
>certainly his solutions seem to be the most effective to date.

Yes, as far as math typesetting is concerned, AFAIK everybody uses TeX inspired
algorithms.

>> BTW with cl-typesetting you get the position of each character
>> so in a notebook interface you can easily detect where a user
>> has clicked for instance.
>
>Nice.  So something like (say) Garnet recording a mouse click and
>screen coordinates could be sent to a routine which knew the limits of
>the document on the screen, and translated those screen coordinates to
>document coordinates and use those coordinates to return a document
>object?  That could be VERY handy.  And perhaps I could teach the
>typesetting to output Garnet lisp objects using the typesetter
>dimensions directly, which could then be executed to update the
>notebook... drool...  and the best part is that outputting accurate PDF
>documents (or, given the proper implemented routines) even high quality
>TeX document exporting would be almost trivial.
>
>OK, I'm interested :-).

Great :)

If you want, I can give you a contact with a friend of mine who is TeX expert as well as
Lisper. He would probably be able to help you if he has some time ;-)

Marc