[cl-typesetting-devel] cl-typesetting documents with damaged xref table

Andrew Philpot philpot at ISI.EDU
Sat Jan 22 01:22:15 UTC 2005

I'm generating documents dynamically using cl-typesetting and then
serving them to a web browser.

I'm doing something wrong, however.  Some browsers' pdf plugins, and
some printer drivers as well, just give up.  Linux xpdf complains
about my documents, although it usually displays them correctly.
The xpdf error message is

  Error (O): PDF file is damaged.  Attempting to reconstruct XREF
  table.

I don't think I'm doing anything myself with xref information.
Browsing the source of PDF:WRITE-DOCUMENT and PDF:WRITE-OBJECT, it
looks like all the xref information is manipulated under the hood.

grep -a "xref" on my file indicates that it is writing these directive
strings into the file.

A sample broken file is available at
http://www.quickhelp.org/debug/xref.pdf in case that would shed any
light on the situation.