[cl-typesetting-devel] Page n of m?

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Fri Oct 1 20:27:42 UTC 2004

Bob Hutchison wrote:

> I hate to bring this up, but it would be very good to minimise the
> number of passes. I've attached the output of extended-time (lispworks
> on a mac) for a 173 page test. The elapsed time was almost 4 minutes
> (more like 3.5 minutes of actual work though). This is already a lot of
> time, I think, and a third pass would take another couple of minutes.
> More importantly is that half the execution time is in the garbage
> collector with 1.3 *billion* bytes allocated to generate a 1.5 million
> byte pdf -- a 1000x factor. (and I've done some things to try to reduce
> the amount of memory used)

Generally 2 passes are enough.
Anway it's far from being optimized. In particular, when it's not the final
pass it should be avoided to really generate the pdf as we will discard it
at the end.

The biggest document I generate has 1300+ pages with thousands or refs (TOC
It takes 12 minutes and 2 passes.

Marc