[cl-typesetting-devel] Page n of m?

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Fri Oct 1 19:10:55 UTC 2004

Peter Seibel <peter at javamonkey.com> writes:

> I haven't tried your new version yet because I had an idea last night
> about what the problem might be. The thing that lead me down the path
> to my workaround of yesterday was noticing that while my reference got
> correctly located (page-number, x, and y set) in stroke, that on the
> second pass it would get replaced by a new, unlocated reference when
> mark-ref-point was called. My workaround was a kludge but I think the
> idea was right--if mark-ref-point is called because a subsequent pass
> is being processed (so the ref is not in *reference-table* but is in
> *previous-reference-table*) then instead of making a new ref-point we
> should copy the previous ref-point. Then the test in stroke to
> determine whether the ref-point has been changed is more
> straightforward--if the current values are different than the ones
> actually stored in the reference it is changing. Below is a patch.
> I'll revert this and try your new code but you can feel free to fold
> it in if appropriate.

The located-p stuff I added is still needed because of the header/footer and
other out of order things.
But your idea of copying the previous ref makes me think that reusing the
reference is a good idea.
In fact looking at your code make me think that this previous-ref stuff in
not needed at all now that there is located-p
I will look at this now.

Checking if the x and y coordonates have changed is probably too strict and
will give many redefined refs IMO.

> > Another nice stuff related to references is the contextual variables.
Have
> > you looked at it ?
>
> Nope. Someday in my copious free time. ;-)

He he... I can understand that. The 24h/day limit is a nuisance. ;-)

Marc