[cl-typesetting-devel] Q: How to disable hyphenation and kerningglobally?

Peter Seibel peter at javamonkey.com
Mon Feb 9 19:43:01 UTC 2004

"Marc Battyani" <marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com> writes:

> Hi Dmitri,
>
> > | Is there any way to switch off these two facilities? I endeavor to
> > | make PDF file size smaller.
>
> ??
>
> > I meant to ask about the three things:
> > - usual word wrapping behavior but without trying to hyphenate,
> > - usual TJ adjustment between words but without kerning between
> characters,
> > - respecting newline characters.
>
> Have a look at #'put-source-code-string that does most of this.
> As the name implies it's meant to typeset source code text. For more general
> text I can't see why you would like to disable char kerning ?
>
> Hyphenation would benefit from a special variable holding the language (or
> nil) and functions/macros to deal with it (set-hyphenation-language,
> with-no-hyphenation, etc.)

Yes. This would be useful. The put-source-code-string is perfect for
whole paragraphs of source code but I also want to be able to mark a
span of text within a paragraph as not to be hyphenated. Another
related feature would be to have a way to mark a string of text as not
to be broken on whitespace. I use this in my HTML styles for inline
code snippets to prevent "(foo bar baz)" from getting broken like "(foo
bar baz)"

-Peter

P.S. The beginning-of-page formatting lossage is still happening--I
have the latest cl-pdf and cl-typesetting from subversion. I'm not
sure how to characterize the problem it except that the first
paragraph of each page has some fairly high probability of having its
formatting screwed up in some way, often manifesting as characters
getting run together and overlapped, sometimes by reverting to the
default font. Without my patch this happens on every page; with my
patch it only happens sometimes. Note that I'm adding a header to my
page; that may have something to do with it. My latest code is at:

 <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/my-typeset.lisp>

An output file that exhibits the problem is at:

 <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/cl-typeset-bug.pdf>

Peter Seibel                                      peter at javamonkey.com