[cl-typesetting-devel] making a huge poster with cl-typesetting

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Tue Aug 31 18:46:30 UTC 2004

"Chisheng Huang" <cph at chi-square-works.com> wrote:

> Directly calling CL-PDF to generate plots is not feasible for my case:(
> Attached at the end is some code I hacked up.  The problem is it does not
> work:(  It will generate 3 pdf files: red.pdf, green.pdf, and test.pdf.
> The file test.pdf is supposed to import and display red.pdf and green.pdf.
> But using acroread on a Linux box only gives me a grey background enlarged
> to 1600%.  Could someone please take a look at the code and tell me what
> I'm missing?  I really hate to use the sucky CorelDRAW on a PC to make
> a poster.

[...]

> (with-document ()
>   (with-page ()
>     (with-outline-level ("test" (register-page-reference))
>       (let ((red (make-instance 'reference-xobject
> :name "red"

It's :name "/red" as it's a pdf name.

> :filename "/tmp/red.pdf"
> :page 0
> :urx 100
> :ury 100))
>     (green (make-instance 'reference-xobject
>   :name "green"

:name "/green"

>   :filename "/tmp/green.pdf"
>   :page 0
>   :urx 100
>   :ury 100)))
> (add-reference-xobjects-to-page red green)
> (draw-reference-xobject red 200 200)
> (draw-reference-xobject green 400 400)
> (rectangle 200 200 200 200)
> (stroke))))
>   (write-document "/tmp/test.pdf"))

With the / added you get a blank page so there is some progress ;-)
I think there is probably something missing in the XObject dictionnaries.
Maybe something to tell that it's a pdf file (a /ProcSet [ /PDF /Text ] ?)

You can also probably embed the content of the linked pdf into the master
one. This is even more interesting I think.
You should try to find or generate (with pdftex for instance ?) some pdf
with an embedded pdf  to see what is missing. (I had a quick look at the pdf
ref but it's not obvoius)

Marc