[cl-typesetting-devel] CLISP support

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Sun Apr 25 21:09:04 UTC 2004

"Klaus Weidner" <kw at w-m-p.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 06:46:58PM +0200, Marc Battyani wrote:
> > All this is in the repository and tarball now. With #+/-clisp so that we
can
> > remove them when CLISP loop is compliant. ;-)
>
> I'm really unhappy with this approach. I had changed the code to work the
> same way on *all* three platforms I could test on by avoiding the
> ill-defined loop behavior, and having the platform-independent version
> conditionalized with #+clisp and keeping the previous platform-dependent
> version is unnecessary and makes the code even harder to read than it
> currently is.
>
> The code should work in a compatible way on all common platforms, and
> even if the CLISP people were to agree to change their LOOP
> implementation to fit with other people's interpretation of the standard
> (which I would not count on), we can't expect people to instantly
> upgrade once that change is made. So the conditionalized code would need
> to stay for a long time.

Hum, I don't buy this argument as nobody uses cl-typesetting with clisp yet.
I remind you that you made the port yesterday ;-) So it's not a problem to
say that cl-typesetting works with clisp version > 42.

> I don't mind keeping the one #+clisp for the weird on-list effect, but
> even there I'd prefer working around the problem in a
> platform-independent way.

?? The #+clisp is only related to the on-list and max-height problems.
For the on-list one I will ask the clisp developpers it's not ill-defined as
you say IMO, and for the max-height one the patch works for clisp but is not
guaranted to work with every implantation as it is unspecified according to
the standard. (Though I don't see why there would be anything else than nil
or 0)

Marc