dotted hfill (was: [cl-typesetting-devel] HTML rendering)

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Wed Apr 21 08:59:44 UTC 2004

"Klaus Weidner" <kw at w-m-p.com> wrote:

> I've only gotten it to do what I want with a really ugly hack - the hfill
> added at the end of each left-justified line needed to be left out on the
> last line, otherwise the leader at that place didn't reach to the right
> margin. I didn't see an obvious way to prevent the hfill from being
> attached, so I got violent and added an extraction routine ;-)

I think it will be easier to just change the alignement/margins settings. I
will try this tonight.

> Also, I've hacked the enumerate function to be a bit smarter, so that it
> lines up the margins properly. To support that, I added a
> put-filled-string function which aligns a string within a predefined
> horizontal area. That also took some hacking - I may have missed some
> obvious solution. Putting real boxes inline messed up the formatting...

You should use a hbox with hfills IMO. I will also have a look at this.
The best solution would be to add tab stops ;-)

> Lastly, I've experimented with tables a bit - is it currently really
> required to explicitly specify column widths? If so, making that dynamic
> would be a fairly important project.

Computing table column widths is not an easy problem. An intermediate
improvement over fixed column sizes would be to use the box model for this.

> I've attached the current output of the XHTML converter, which is
> starting to look promising. Still missing are strikethrough and
> underline, which I'm too tired to figure out how to implement.

Very good. When do you think it will be publishable ?

> One more thing, is there some easy way to handle widow/orphan prevention
> automatically, i.e. by specifying a 'badness' in the interline vspace?

No, not yet.

Marc