[cl-typesetting-devel] HTML rendering

Klaus Weidner kw at w-m-p.com
Mon Apr 19 23:59:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 01:19:45AM +0200, Marc Battyani wrote:
> "Klaus Weidner" <klaus at atsec.com> wrote:
> > Also, this may just be a lack of understanding on my part, but what would
> > the best way be to handle the case where the title is too long to fit in
> > a single line? Something like this:
> >
> >    Chapter one . . . . . . . 3
> >
> >    Chapter two with a really
> >    long title  . . . . . . . 5
> >
> > Note that the first line should not run into the numbers column, and the
> > last line needs to have the dot fill. Hmmm, seems to be a candidate for a
> > paragraph that has a different right margin for the last line, kind of a
> > reflection of the way the first-line-indent works.
>
> I was rather thinking about a fill-with-dots-and-put-a-number-box special
> box that would act like a hfill (and prevent the right margin space to be
> inserted)

Could you give me an example of how a box that can extend beyond the
right margin needs to be defined?  I thought the engine was supposed to
stack them inside it.

> > A problematic area is matching up the references the typesetting layer
> > knows about with the PDF cross-references. Note that my referencing code
> > currently saves the page number and the x/y position for the mark, does
> > that help?
>
> Yes, there is stuff for this (references) in cl-pdf.

I'll take a look to see if I can figure this out, time permitting (har!).

> > The only way I can get the code loaded on CMUCL is by moving the
> > def-function into a separate file (i.e. zlib.lisp), which is loaded after
> > the load-foreign-library was run. No changes within init.lisp worked,
> > since it doesn't even load if there's an unresolved reference to
> > "compress".
>
> It's strange how something so simple can be the major source of problems.

Hmm, the cl-png Debian package contains a pure-Lisp implementation of
deflate compression, but it appears a bit unfinished. Pity.

-Klaus