[cl-typesetting-devel] HTML rendering

Dmitri Ivanov divanov at aha.ru
Mon Apr 19 07:41:09 UTC 2004

Hello Klaus,

| On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 03:16:59PM +0200, Marc Battyani wrote:
|> "Klaus Weidner" <klaus at atsec.com> wrote:
|
|> Sure, of course the doc should be written with cl-typesetting :)
|
| I disagree there :-)
|
| I think that it should be written in some kind of standard format that
| can be rendered by cl-typesetting, which isn't the same thing. I'd
| suggest using XHTML, and personally I'd even prefer POD (Perl "Plain
| Old Documentation"), which has the advantage of having minimally
| intrusive markup and therefore is unpainful to type.
|
| Compare:
|
|  (with-style (:font "Times-Italic") "italic")
|  " and "
|  (with-style (:font "Times-Bold") "bold")
|  "text.
|
|         \texit{italic} and \texbb{bold} text.

|         I<italic> and B<bold> text.
|
| Of course the Lisp version could be abbreviated, but even the minimal
|
|  (I "italic") " and " (B "bold") " text."
|
| is still way too long, and I'd hate having to put all the text I'm
| writing into double quotes, and having to worry about escaping
| backslashes and such things.

We do need something like this to deal with font variants in cl-typesetting.
IMHO, that should not use strings in double quotes, but keywords instead. To
achive that, we can split font names into :font-family and :font-style (or
:font-variant) components.

(with-style (:font-family "Times")
    (with-style (:font-style :bold) ; or (:font-style :b)
     ...))

The require-cyr-font function (see the attachment) could be a starting
sample.

|...snip...|
| In general, I think there's a huge opportunity for Lisp here - XML is
| for the most part extremely easy to read and write with Lisp (except
| for character encoding issues), and since apparently many people love
| XML syntax (and are alarmed by Lisp parentheses), I think that's a
| great way to interface with the rest of the world.

I am not an XML expert, but many respectful lispniks (IIRC Eric Naggum,
Erann Gat to name a few) do not share your love with XML :-)

It would be well having all the above as optional modules. But I am not for
making cl-typesetting depend entirely on X-<something>. And I agree with
Marc about what cl-typesetting doc should be written with.
--
Sincerely,
Dmitri Ivanov