[cl-prevalence-devel] Indexes

Sven Van Caekenberghe scaekenberghe at common-lisp.net
Tue Oct 5 11:54:34 UTC 2004

Hi All,

Randall Randall contributed some code to add indexes to
managed-prevalence,
today I merge his code in CVS head (not yet in the release tarball)

Exported functions:

index-on
drop-index-on
find-object-with-slot

Comments:

The ideas and most code comes from Randall,
I added code to drop indexes,
added code to add existing objects to newly created indexes,
added a fallback for find-object-with-slot in case there is no index,
changed the code that checked for unchanged slots so that it conses
less.

Todo:

Since indexing was added to improve performance,
I think current the generation of root and index names done each time
we access a root or index is too slow (especially conses too much).

I have a new scheme of root naming that I am thinking about that might
solve this problem.
It might also allow for iteration over all current indexes of a class
which could be usefull when deleting objects,
and might bring back the index->object association instead of the
current index->id association
which is currently adding another indirection.

Sven