TR: [cl-ppcre-devel] New release 1.2.4

Kick Damien-DKICK1 DKICK1 at motorola.com
Tue Mar 8 16:52:47 UTC 2005

Edi Weitz [edi at agharta.de] wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:23:11 +0100, Sebastien Saint-Sevin
> <seb-cl-mailist at matchix.com> wrote:
>
> > Can you give us a brief feedback on the kind of problems you faced
> > with DEBUG set to 0? Or the reasons that motivated this move.
>
> No real problems.  It just turned out that with (DEBUG 0) tools like
> SLIME couldn't show the arglists of CL-PPCRE functions which is a
> feature that I like to have.  Also, from tests with CMUCL it seems
> that you don't loose performance due to this change.

Personally, I still would like to know of an easy way to change these
settings.  For example, if something like the following would work:

    (defun frobnicate (frob)
      (declare (optimize (speed *cl-ppcre-speed*)
                         (debug *cl-ppcre-debug*)))
      (twiddle (this frob))
      (tweak (that frob)))

A while back, when I was having my Lisp run-time die in some code that
was using CL-PPCRE, I went and changed all of the optimization
settings for saftey/debug to get some kind of stack trace, but I had
to find/change all of the settings with Emacs.  There has got to be an
easier way to do this; is there really no Common Lisp paradigm for
this?  I've tried asking on comp.lang.lisp but don't remember getting
a reply.  Would one have to write a macro?

    (defun frobnicate (frob)
      (with-declaration ((speed-level *cl-ppcre-speed*)
                         (debug-level *cl-ppcre-debug*))
        (optimize (speed speed-level)
                  (debug debug-level))
        (twiddle (this frob)