[cl-ppcre-devel] Byte vectors instead of strings

pete-cl-ppcre at kazmier.com pete-cl-ppcre at kazmier.com
Mon Jul 18 01:41:35 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 06:36:48PM -0600, Jim Prewett wrote:

> i'm just cureous, what sort of log processing are you doing?

I'm responsible for all of the network management systems for a VoIP
telecom company.  Part of our architecture is the real-time monitoring
of various logs such as the syslog messages generated by about 1000+
Cisco devices as well as various application log files.  Currently, I
use my own Python software called LogWrap[1] for this purpose.  Another
part of our architecture is the post processing of log files for trend
analysis, intrusion detection analysis, etc ...  This analysis is done
with a whole bunch of Python scripts.

Over the past year, I've been learning CL in my free time and have been
trying to slowly introduce CL at work in both of the above areas.  My
first attempt was to write some of the post processing tools in CL
because I thought that CL coupled with cl-ppcre would be much faster
than my existing Python tools.  This was not the case because the
open-source CL implementations were slow due to the IO processing.  Now
I am now trying to use byte vectors with cl-ppcre to see if this will
significantly speed up the processing.

> I've been working on a "generic log analysis" application for a couple of
> years now that (very) strongly suggests CL-PPCRE called LoGS.

I'm reading about it now and it sounds very interesting and familiar as
my Python LogWrap does some of the same, rules, actions, suppression,
generic handlers, etc.  Its time for me to go to bed now, but I will
read more about this tomorrow as it may help me with the real-time part
of my architecture.  I was going to write LogWrap in Lisp, but it sounds
like you've saved me the trouble.

> Is there a collaboration here?

Perhaps, but it seems at first glance that LoGS has everything I need.
After I go through the documentation more thoroughly, I'll be able to
determine if there are any missing pieces of functionality I might want
to add and contribute if wanted.

Thanks,
Pete

[1] http://www.kazmier.com/computer/logwrap