[cl-pdf-devel] pdf::read-jpeg-file

Andrew Philpot andrew.philpot at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 16:50:00 UTC 2012

Running cl-pdf 2.1 (although the source tag says pdf::*version* = 2.03)

I have a legacy cl-pdf application which embeds JPG files into the pdf
documents.  I've noticed that more and more JPGs that I encounter are
not accessible via PDF::READ-JPEG-FILE, that is, the underlying
PDF::%READ-JPEG-FILE% signals an EOF due to not recognizing some
marker byte. I'm guessing this is due to new camera capabilities or
new metadata from various image processing software; and I suppose
that PDF::%READ-JPEG-FILE% didn't anticipate some legal segment(s) in
the file.

My current workaround is to run exiftool -all= <file> to drop all EXIF
metadata.  But I was wondering whether anyone has a patch to the JPG
reader, or has the expertise to look at this and the JPG specs and
ascertain what is going on.

A sample non-readable image is available at
http://www.isi.edu/~philpot/qh2012/original.jpg

Thanks!

--
Andrew Philpot