[cl-pdf-devel] Character encoding?

Peter Seibel peter at gigamonkeys.com
Sun Feb 24 20:57:26 UTC 2008

So let's say I'm using a Lisp that uses Unicode strings. I have some
strings that contain characters such as u+2018 and u+2019 (i.e. curly
quotes). If I'm using a non-Unicode font there are no font metrics for
those code points and I get an array index error if I try to render
those strings. But if I translate those to the corresponding cp-1252
code points. On the other hand if I *am* using a Unicode font, I want to
leave the strings alone. Would it make sense for cl-pdf, knowing what
font is being used at the moment, to do this translation for me or not,
as needed? If so, where's the best place for that to happen? In PUT-STRING?

-Peter

Peter Seibel                     : peter at gigamonkeys.com
A Billion Monkeys Can't be Wrong : http://www.gigamonkeys.com/blog/
Practical Common Lisp            : http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/