[cl-pdf-devel] Fonts?

Peter Seibel peter at gigamonkeys.com
Tue May 31 04:11:10 UTC 2005

"Marc Battyani" <marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com> writes:

> "Peter Seibel" <peter at gigamonkeys.com> writes:
>
>> Hmmm, just a wacky thought. Is there any easy way to extract fonts
>> from existing PDF docs? For instance, if I make a document in Word
>> using all sorts of fancy fonts and then print it to PDF (easy on the
>> Mac) cl-pdf-parse or something, extract the font info it needs to use
>> those fonts?
>
> Generally no, as only the needed characters glyphs are embedded in
> the pdf file. But if you write all the possibles characters in the
> pdf it should be OK.

Anyway, I got the fontforge software that Carlos mentioned, figured
out how to get it running on OS X and converted a few .dfont files to
afm/pfb combos and have now used CL-PDF to design some business cards
for my new Lisp consulting business. Samples at:

  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/business-card.pdf>

I'll probably go with either the one in the 2nd column, 2nd from the
bottom or the first column, bottom row. But if anyone has any
suggestions or comments about how to improve them, please let me know.
And thanks again to Marc for producing this fine piece of software.

-Peter

Peter Seibel                                     peter at gigamonkeys.com