[cl-pdf-devel] switching to binary format

Dmitriy Ivanov divanov at aha.ru
Thu Mar 17 10:29:53 UTC 2005

Hello Marc,

| I'm considering to switch cl-pdf to a binary format to avoid all those
| character encoding problems. Dmitri Ivanov has already started in that
| direction but it's for LW only. Has anybody else done similar
| modifications for other Lisp implementations ?
|
| The binary format can be a problem for all the text parts written by
| #'format and #'write-string. Also I don't want to have a performance
| hit by manually converting strings to byte arrays.
|
| Any opinions on this ?

Good.

Without Unicode support in CL-PDF, we have to convert to a code page
external format anyhow. If you feel like using fli:convert-to-dynamic-foreign-string
in LW, that could be not optimal. According to my experience with YSQL, its
counterpart fli:convert-from-foreign-string is implemented rather
inefficiently, and "manually converting byte arrays to strings" works
faster.

BTW, I have just updated my contribution di-pdf.lisp at lisp.ystok.ru.
--
Sincerely,