[cl-pdf-devel] Re: Final zlib fix, and CLISP support

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Sat Apr 24 22:24:50 UTC 2004

"Klaus Weidner" <kw at w-m-p.com>

[replying to cl-pdf rather than cl-typesetting mailing list]

> yet another attempt at fixing the annoying zlib issue...

Let's fix it definitively! (or at least until next time ;-)

> My new approach is the following:
>
> - in cl-pdf.asd, attempt to load the uffi library in an ignore-errors
>   clause. If successful, add :uffi to *features*.

ok

> - conditionalize the zlib dependent code using #+uffi

ok

> - if uffi is not present or zlib is not loaded successfully,
>   automatically set *compress-streams* to NIL.

ok but I've rather set *compress-streams* to nil in the defvar in
config.lisp. it will be set to t only if zlib loads successfully

> I have verified that this works with CMUCL and SBCL.
>
> But in addition, this change makes cl-pdf work on CLISP, and probably any
> other common lisp as well.

Have you tried Edi's modification with CMUCL ? He kept the dynamic nature of
#'load-zlib so this will also work in delivered images/exe. This is lost
with your patch because you put the (uffi:def-function ("compress"
c-compress) at the top level.

So I merged your patch (uffi) with Edi's one (zlib)
It still works on Lispworks at least. :)
Can you try it with CMUCL etc.?

It's in the repository and the tarball.

Marc