[cl-pdf-devel] Embedding several PDF files in one document

Arthur Lemmens alemmens at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 23 17:05:16 UTC 2004

Klaus Weidner wrote:

> Another important question is if you need to modify the page
> content of the articles you're merging, for example if you want
> continuous page numbers throughout the document.

Yes, that's a good point.

> Do you need to automatically extract the abstract and metadata, or would
> it be okay to manually extract that to generate the introductory
> material?

No, abstract and metadata don't come from the PDF-documents, but
come from the database behind the web site.

> There's also the pdftk, the PDF tool kit, which can merge and split
> documents. It's GPL licensed.

Thanks for the link.

> I also have a PDF file parser in CL, which I use to extract text from
> documents. The language parsing is complete, but I haven't implemented
> more operators than the few I needed.

I'm thinking of doing something similar now. I don't have much time
for this, so I'll keep it as simple as possible.

> It doesn't use any cl-pdf code, but a wrapper layer could probably take
> care of feeding the parsed code back to it for output.
>
> It's not currently open sourced, but I could ask my boss about that.

Thanks for the offer. I would be interested, of course.
But maybe Marc's parser would be closer to what I need (assuming
the result of Marc's parser would be more or less compatible
with cl-pdf).

Thanks a lot, Klaus and Marc. Your answers have been very helpful.

Arthur Lemmens