[cl-opengl-devel] Fun GPLed Common Lisp OpenGL Molecule Viewer

doug at hcsw.org doug at hcsw.org
Tue Sep 4 23:40:10 UTC 2007

Hi LispNYC/cl-opengl-devel!

I just released a new Common Lisp program that I
quickly hacked for a school assignment and have since
cleaned up a bit. We were supposed to use C but I,
of course, used lisp. :)

It's a fancy 3D, interacive viewer for molecules
using the OpenGL graphics libraries and the awesome
cl-opengl bindings. Currently included molecules:
water, ethanol.

Read more about it and download it here:

http://hcsw.org/blog.pl

I was wondering if anyone can confirm this works
for them on whatever environments or has any other
comments. Also, cl-opengl-devel: feel free to
include it as an example with the bindings if you
feel it will help anyone!

The random walk framerate testing mode is neat.
The code is also good for getting an intuitive
feeling for how GL lighting works as well as a good
example of using rotation matrices in CL
(gl:with-pushed-matrix is brilliant).

But as the blog post concludes: The next generation
of this program will not be a way to view molecules,
but instead a way of interactively exploring diverse
types polyhedron, like, for instance, the icosahedron
and the infinite class of anti-prisms. And don't forget
that every polyhedron has a dual (where the centre of
each face becomes a vertex). Flipping between a polyhedron
and its dual in real-time will be sweet.

Doug Hoyte
Chief Operating Officer
HCSW Silicon Graphics Division