[cl-json-devel] proposed: improvements to decoder customization

Henrik Hjelte henrik at evahjelte.com
Sun Aug 3 20:14:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Boris Smilga <boris.smilga at gmail.com> wrote:

> §3.  This suggests a design similar in spirit to SAX, with a set of
> handlers triggered by "events".

I like your idea, it will make cl-json very configurable. You are on
the spot on the requirements list in my opinion. Here are some
thoughts:

1. There will be a lot of variables for the callback functions. Some
may say it is ugly.

But: if we can encapsule them with a function to set them all, I think it is OK.

The alternative is probably to implement this OO style with what I think
they call the "strategy" pattern, but I don't think it is obviously prettier
and the performance will probably be a little bit worse.

2. I think the A (Accumulator) version seems to be good, and If it has
other advantages as you write, I think we should go for it.

3. Will you do it, or should we just put it on the TODO list until
someone wants to do it?

By the way, some things that I might want to do if we should release a
new version:
* remove the parenscript dependency.
* add a little sample implementation of JSONP

Any other wishes?

/Henrik Hjelte