[cl-gd-devel] Error could not find font

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Wed Feb 16 20:58:51 UTC 2005

Hi!

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:17:51 -0500, Rusty Shackleford <rs at natchie.mine.nu> wrote:

> I'm new to lisp, so I apologize if this error is obvious.

I don't know if it's obvious but it's not really Lisp-related... :)

> Anyway, I installed the cl-gd debian package, and tried to run the
> example program posted on the cl-gd website,

Which one?  The first one called "simple example?"

> but I keep getting this "could not find font" error.

Looks like you don't have the font that is needed... :)

If we're talking about the same example then it uses the "Verdana"
font which is part of the "msttcorefonts" Debian package.

If you have this package installed you either need to supply a full
font path like

  "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Verdana.ttf"

or you have to set the Environment variable DEFAULT_FONTPATH (see the
comment in the example).  See

  <http://weitz.de/cl-gd/#draw-freetype-string>

for all the details.

> Here's the exact output of the program:
>
> #P"/usr/lib/cl-gd/cl-gd-glue.so"
> debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR in thread 8467:
>   Error in FreeType library: Could not find/open font
>
> I have the libfreetype6-devel package installed.

That should not be necessary.

> Do I need to do something with namespaces in my program?

Nope.

Hope that helps,
Edi.