[cffi-devel] Round trips through parse-type, unparse-type

Luís Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Sun May 6 10:13:07 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Liam Healy <lnp at healy.washington.dc.us> wrote:
> However, this comment got me to thinking that there are a lot of
> (unnecessary) round trips through parse-type/unparse-type.  It seems to me
> that they could be eliminated or reduced.  Perhaps as a design philosophy,
> we should only have parsed types internally, and then we won't need
> unparse-type at all?   Changing this would be a lot of work, I realize.

What makes you say there are a lot round-trips through parse- and
unparse-type? Grepping the source we code, we can find two usages of
unparse-type: (1) the make-load-form method for foreign-type and (2)
some foreign-array-type code.

(2) shouldn't be there and it's got a FIXME nearby. (1) is why
unparse-type was introduced. Instances of foreign-type can end up in
fasls after various macros and compiler macros kick in and so we need
a way to serialize them.

Luís Oliveira
http://r42.eu/~luis/