[cffi-devel] Structure pointer with new structure syntax: mem-aptr

Liam Healy lhealy at common-lisp.net
Mon Mar 5 04:44:06 UTC 2012

I think Martin is right, so I have implemented mem-aptr and updated the
manual.  Here are Ryan's examples:

    (cffi:defcstruct rp-struct
     (x :short)
     (y :short))

    (defun test-old-ref (&optional (count 0))
     (declare (notinline cffi:mem-ref cffi:mem-aref))
     (cffi:with-foreign-object (ptr '(:struct rp-struct) 2)
       (format t "~&Old-ref style:~%ptr : ~A~%aref: ~A~%"
               ptr (cffi:mem-aref ptr 'rp-struct count))))

    (defun test-new-ref (&optional (count 0))
     (cffi:with-foreign-object (ptr '(:struct rp-struct) 2)
       (format t "~&New-ref style:~%ptr : ~A~%aref: ~A~%"
              ptr
              (cffi:mem-aptr ptr '(:struct rp-struct) count))))

    CFFI(14): (test-old-ref)
    STYLE-WARNING:
       bare references to struct types are deprecated. Please use (:STRUCT
RP-STRUCT) instead.
    STYLE-WARNING:
       bare references to struct types are deprecated. Please use (:STRUCT
RP-STRUCT) instead.
    STYLE-WARNING:
       bare references to struct types are deprecated. Please use (:POINTER
(:STRUCT RP-STRUCT)) instead.

    Old-ref style:
    ptr : #.(SB-SYS:INT-SAP #X7FFFF6E97FF0)
    aref: #.(SB-SYS:INT-SAP #X7FFFF6E97FF0)
    NIL
    CFFI(15): (test-new-ref)

    New-ref style:
    ptr : #.(SB-SYS:INT-SAP #X7FFFF6E97FF0)
    aref: #.(SB-SYS:INT-SAP #X7FFFF6E97FF0)
    NIL
    CFFI(16): (test-old-ref 1)
    STYLE-WARNING:
       bare references to struct types are deprecated. Please use (:STRUCT
RP-STRUCT) instead.
    STYLE-WARNING:
       bare references to struct types are deprecated. Please use (:STRUCT
RP-STRUCT) instead.
    STYLE-WARNING:
       bare references to struct types are deprecated. Please use (:POINTER
(:STRUCT RP-STRUCT)) instead.

    Old-ref style:
    ptr : #.(SB-SYS:INT-SAP #X7FFFF6E97FF0)
    aref: #.(SB-SYS:INT-SAP #X7FFFF6E97FF4)
    NIL
    CFFI(17): (test-new-ref 1)

    New-ref style:
    ptr : #.(SB-SYS:INT-SAP #X7FFFF6E97FF0)
    aref: #.(SB-SYS:INT-SAP #X7FFFF6E97FF4)
    NIL

This looks right to me.  I made a new branch libffi; the old branch fsbv
will be abandoned.  Note that generation of a pointer from mem-aref for
structures is only supported when using the deprecated "bare" structures
form, for compatibility reasons; otherwise you should use mem-aptr.
Please checkout this branch and see if it works correctly for you and looks
right.
I agree as Martin said the other examples are incorrectly written, so I'm
not bothering with them.

Head:       0fec6ff839 - Update manual to include mem-aptr

Liam