[cffi-devel] Next release of CFFI with cffi-libffi

Stelian Ionescu sionescu at cddr.org
Thu Apr 19 10:34:31 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-04-14 at 15:13 -0400, Liam Healy wrote:
> The system cffi-libffi allows calling functions with structures passed and
> returned by value.  The cffi-libffi branch has been merged into master.
> Because bare structure reference is deprecated, the merge affects a lot
> code using CFFI, not just those calling functions with structures by
> value.  Expect to see many style warnings in code that refers to bare
> structure names.  Please test and report successes/problems.  We hope to
> have a new release of CFFI soon.
>
> See blog: http://lhealy.livejournal.com/2012/04/14/

IMO the change to mem-aref is bad and will break a lot of code. Until
now the contract of mem-aref was that it received a pointer to an array
of the referenced type and returned a pointer offset into the array.
The fact that it now returns a list is a gratuitous change, with no
utility. If we actually want these semantics(not sure about it), it
should be mem-aptr to implement them

--
Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix
http://common-lisp.net/project/iolib