[cffi-devel] foreign library memory footprint

Luís Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 14:02:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Kevin Smith <k2msmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, What is the best way (from lisp) to to monitor the total memory
> allocation during runtime of a foreign library that is doing calls
> malloc/free ?

I think you'll have to use the same techniques you would use in plain
C. See for example: <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1906228>.
However, your Lisp's memory management might interfere. For instance,
Valgrind and SBCL don't get along at all.

You might have better luck with tools that only instrument
malloc()/free() if your implementation doesn't use malloc() to
allocate Lisp memory, e.g. SBCL.

> what about memory size in lisp as well ?

There's CL:ROOM, and most Lisps have memory profilers. (I'm not aware
of any such profilers including foreign memory usage, unfortunately.)

You might get better informed answers if you ask this question on your
Lisp's mailing list.

HTH.

--
Luís Oliveira